The International Au Pair Association (IAPA) is the leading global trade association for organisations active in all aspects of au pair and cultural exchange programmes.
IAPA has more than 170 member organisations active in 45 countries worldwide. Member organisations must meet firm business and ethical standards, and agree to abide by the IAPA Code of Conduct which signifies competence, fair dealing and high integrity.
IAPA is a global not-for-profit organisation and a founding member of the World Youth Student and Educational (WYSE) Travel Confederation.
IAPA was founded by leading au pair organisations in 1994 at the WYSTC (World Youth and Student Travel Conference) in Vancouver, Canada.
IAPA’s main aim is to protect the rights of all au pairs and host families and at the same time establish internationally approved guidelines for au pair exchange programmes.
New agencies arise as the demand for au pairs continues to increase. With growth in the industry comes the need for regulation at the international level. IAPA aims to meet this need by developing a system of self-regulation and by introducing professional standards.
IAPA supports au pair and cultural exchange opportunities for young people by:
- Protecting the interests of au pairs and host families through internationally recognised Codes of Conduct and Guidelines.
- Assisting in the development of au pair programmes in countries where they do not exist.
- Encouraging governments and official bodies to sanction au pair programmes, to and from their countries.
- Promoting the formation of national au pair organisations.
- Lobby governments to treat au pair programmes as cultural exchange programmes.
- Increasing public awareness to the need of reputable and established au pair agencies.
- Providing practical information to au pairs and host families.
- Hosting conferences, seminars.
- Promoting the exchange of information for members.
- Issuing the “Au Pair of the Year” award.
IAPA membership is open to agencies, associations and authorities actively engaged in the au pair and cultural exchange industry. For further details on how you can join the IAPA community, please visit our website.